Rhododendron Walking Festival Itinerary
The 2018 Rhododendron Walking Festival Itinerary is below with detailed walk descriptions and booking links further down the page.
Please book even if the walk is listed as ‘Free’ as we need an idea of numbers for each event for buses, entertainment and refreshment purposes – depending on the event. Click on the itinerary graphic below for a larger version. You can also download a printable PDF version of the full itinerary if you click here.
Friday June 1st:
- The inaugural Rhododendron Walking Festival will kick off in St Paul’s Community Centre Clogheen at 7pm (Eircode E21 T264).
- All walkers will need to sign-in before the walk.
- Brief guest speakers to start the event.
- At 7.30pm the walking group will set off on the ‘Clogheen Heritage Walk’, a tour of some historical sites of interest around Clogheen Village.
- At the end of the walk all participants return to St Paul’s Community Centre to sign-out.
- Free refreshments will be provided in the hall.
- Local activity groups will have a variety of stands promoting the area.
- Entertainment provided by Cahir Comhaltas.
- Cost: Free
- Book Now – Pre-booking required for numbers.
Saturday June 2nd:
- A, B & C grade walks along the 34km Knockmealdown Forest Linear Trail from Ballyporeen to Newcastle.
- All walks check-in at Newcastle Community Hall – (Eircode E91 C3V9).
- A Walk – 34km Ballyporeen to Newcastle –
- Check in at Newcastle Community Hall – 8am
- Bus to Ballyporeen – 9am
- Hot meal in Newcastle Hall – Book A Walk Now
- B Walk – 18km Clogheen to Newcastle –
- Check in at Newcastle Community Hall – 11.30am
- Bus to Clogheen – 12.30pm
- Hot meal in Newcastle Hall – Book B Walk Now
- C Walk – 9km Goatenbridge to Newcastle –
- Check in at Newcastle Community Hall – 2.30pm
- Bus to Goatenbridge – 3.30pm
- Hot meal in Newcastle Hall – Booking Closed
- Car Parking will be available in Newcastle with buses to walk starting points (Ballyporeen, Clogheen & Goatenbridge).
- ENTERTAINMENT: Clogheen Main Street Saturday evening provided by Retrophonics.
Sunday June 3rd:
- The 3 Hour trail (10km) includes a newly opened path climbing over the back of Baylough and on to Loughglenbridge. It takes in some of the most breathtaking views of Rhododendrons in bloom in the country
- 10am – walkers sign in at Clogheen Community Centre.
- 11am – walk begins. It will take 3-4 hours depending on fitness levels.
- 1.5 Hour trail (8km) will take in some of the foothills of the Knockmealdown Mountains, climbing to Baylough from Loughglenbridge and including areas with swathes of Rhododendrons in bloom.
- 11am – walkers sign in at Clogheen Community Centre.
- 12 noon – walk begins. It will take 1.5-3 hours depending on fitness levels.
- Suitable for children over 10 – not suitable for buggies.
- On Return to Clogheen Community Centre:
- Refreshments for all participants at from 2 to 4pm.
- The Fogues will provide entertainment for the afternoon.
Monday June 4th
- Goatenbridge to Kildanogue Duck Ponds.
- Registration at Goatenbridge Community Centre – 10am (Eircode E91 RR79)
- 11am – Walk to Knockballiniry Loop Trail Head and on to the Kildanogue Duck Ponds.
- Family fun day at Kildanogue Duck Ponds.
- There will be plenty for the family to do including face painting, treasure hunt, etc.
- The Kildanogue Duck Ponds are fully paved and family friendly
- This is a buggy friendly walk.
- Buses will leave Duck Ponds regularly, back to cars at Goatenbridge village.
- Cost: Free
- Pre-booking required for numbers.